Sunday, August 2, 2009

black currant jam


Only part of the bounty today, Aug. 1 2009.
Mostly black currants. (see Ribes) a few strawberries (Fragaria) and some raspberries (Rubus) and very few gooseberries (Ribes)


Yesterday Pat and i picked, some 5 litres raspberries and say 4 litres blackcurrants.
He made raspberry vinegar. According to him only to be done with wild berries, (domestic berries not enough flavor)
He used 3 litres white vinegar
I think; 1 pound raspberries (i'll ask him)
boiled it, let i stand, and strained it.
Beautiful clear red liquid.

Angela(Pat's wife) i hope you will send me the recipe for the salad dressing, made with it.(Thanks:)

I cooked up my 2 litres of blackcurrants, as you see them, leaves and sticks picked out.

I dry the leaves for tea.

I boiled the berries with one bag of brown sugar, boiled till the desired consistency,
4 pints of jam.

As you see i am not much good for recipes. I fling it, it mostly works out deliciously so.

No comments: